Two new bushings were installed in the hinge half that remained on the body post: one from the top and one from the bottom.
To ensure that the hinge would work smoothly and quietly, a dab of wheel bearing grease was applied to the bushings before the hinge was reassembled.
The new pin was installed from the top to make sure that it didn't accidentally slip out at a later time.
The pin was then driven into the hinge with a punch and hammer until the knurled portion was seated into the hinge.
The hinge was now repaired and ready for the door to be reinstalled. To aid in adjusting the door, the jack and board were used as a lever and fulcrum to raise and lower the front of the door until it was tightened up and adjusted perfectly.
With the door now swinging properly and solidly, we decided to make sure that it would seal correctly. You can see here how brittle the old rubber was.
We removed the old rubber and wiped down the door with some mineral spirits to clean any old residue.
The new weatherstripping from The Paddock came with all the clips installed and was literally a snap to fit in place. All the clips lined up exactly where they should. We are planning to paint this car eventually, so we decided against using any weatherstrip adhesive-as it turned out, none was needed.
New rubber bumpers were also installed on the doors, decklid, and hood to prevent any of them from making any unnecessary noise. To make the job easier a small amount of silicon lube was sprayed on the backside of the bumpers.
The hood bumpers simply slipped over the adjusting bolts, but the door and decklid ones had to be carefully pushed into holes in the sheetmetal. By applying a little pressure with a finger and slowly pushing in between the rubber and metal with a small flat-blade screwdriver, we were able to get the bumpers fully seated.
We finished up by removing the interior door and quarter-panels and vacuuming any debris that had accumulated over the years. This will help quiet anything that may have been bouncing around in there as well as help any water drain out, thus preventing any rust.
221 W. Main St.