CLICK BELOW TO SEE ALL OF THE STORIES COVERING THE BUILD OF PROJECT DANGER MOUSE
DANGER MOUSE PART 1
DANGER MOUSE PART 3
DANGER MOUSE PART 4
DANGER MOUSE PART 5
DANGER MOUSE PART 7
DANGER MOUSE PART 8
DANGER MOUSE PART 9
DANGER MOUSE PART 10
DANGER MOUSE PART 13
DANGER MOUSE PART 14
DANGER MOUSE PART 15
DANGER MOUSE PART 18
DANGER MOUSE PART 20
DANGER MOUSE PART 22
DANGER MOUSE PART 23
DANGER MOUSE PART 24
DANGER MOUSE PART 25
Although we've had a lot of fun testing all the different combinations to see how much power Danger Mouse (DM) could make without any power adders, we figured it was about time DM got serious. Because, let's face it. It's become way-to-easy to build a 400hp small-block today and we've already grown tired of such mundane challenges. We always wanted DM to lead the charge, not follow it. So now it's time to see just how much power DM could really make. Or maybe if this would be the test that breaks the Mouse's back.
For this installment we searched out a means to produce so much power that some called us mad. Except, we also had to make sure that the power we made was something you could easily do at home and without having to sell your car just to finance the engine! It also had to be bare-bones simple, the kind of parts it takes less than a weekend to install and we think we torpedoed the target. This month's tests involved bolting on a centrifugal D-1SC ATI Procharger and boosting DM with just enough extra air to crank out almost 700 hp on pump gas! We probably could've made more power, but we ran out of time during our day at the dyno.
We've been considering attempting to make this kind of power with ATI's entry-level P-1SC blower ever since we did the series on ATI's 8-second, pump-gas Super Street Nova, (see: SUPER CHEVY December 2002, January, February, March 2003) and we knew we wanted to run one of their self-contained units, which the D-1SC is, so the choice was simple. We also didn't want to blow out the street-style Fel-Pro (PN 1003) head gaskets so the plan was to limit to the boost to about 15 psi. Besides, pumping in more than one atmosphere (14.7 psi is equal to one atmosphere) on pump gas is very tough for any motor to handle. But none of that really mattered because DM is tough and after it made 697 hp at 6,200 rpm and 613 ft-lb of torque at 5,500 rpm, our resident test mule was now running with some of our a bad-boy big-blocks and we're lovin' every minute of it!
To build this much power from only 355 cid takes thorough planning and some stout parts. You may recall that in the beginning we built DM using the strongest parts around, just in case we ran such a test. So this time the World Products four-bolt Motown block and forged Lunati crank, rods, and pistons were really put to the test. We're happy to report that they all performed flawlessly and might make 800 hp the next time out!
Since this test was going to use a bolt-on centrifugal supercharger, we wanted to run Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), even though carb kits are available for these blowers. We contacted ACCEL for one of its GEN VII Digital Fuel Injection (DFI) systems, just like EFI, but with a different acronym, and the first time we opened the big box it came in, we knew we'd made the right choice. The ACCEL manifold and its related components came completely assembled, with all fittings and injectors installed and even the billet throttle body mounted in place. This was truly going to be and easy bolt-on.
Next, to insure that the DFI and blower would work well together and make the most power they could, the crew at Speed-O-Motive installed an off-the-shelf hydraulic roller cam from Crane. In keeping with the spirit of making the most power it ever has, DM's new cam is also the largest it has run to date, with 240/248 degrees duration at 0.050 inches and more than 0.590-inch lift with the 1.6:1 COMP Cams Pro Magnum roller rockers we ran. This cam sure wasn't a little street grind, but combined with the blower, the engine idled well at 900 rpm making greater than 9-inches of vacuum. And to make sure that DM was compatible with the new blower, (read that as having lower compression) we once again installed the set of big-chamber Trick Flow Specialties (TFS) aluminum heads that we've used on several previous tests (see: SUPER CHEVY July, August, September 2003).
Danger Mouse is all set and ready to blow! That's Chris Spies from ATI/Procharger, who cam
Prior to bolting the engine onto Vrbancic Brother's DTS engine dyno for this month's tests
In its new configuration with the "zero" deck Lunati pistons, Trick Flow heads, and Fel-Pr