CLICK BELOW TO SEE ALL OF THE STORIES COVERING THE BUILD OF PROJECT DANGER MOUSE
DANGER MOUSE PART 1
DANGER MOUSE PART 3
DANGER MOUSE PART 4
DANGER MOUSE PART 5
DANGER MOUSE PART 7
DANGER MOUSE PART 8
DANGER MOUSE PART 9
DANGER MOUSE PART 10
DANGER MOUSE PART 13
DANGER MOUSE PART 14
DANGER MOUSE PART 15
DANGER MOUSE PART 18
DANGER MOUSE PART 20
DANGER MOUSE PART 22
DANGER MOUSE PART 23
DANGER MOUSE PART 24
DANGER MOUSE PART 25
Since Danger Mouse (DM) is SUPER CHEVY's in-house test engine and we vowed long ago to test any combinations suggested to us, this month is our first example of mixing the wrong components. The culprit here is not a bad part. Rather, the culprit is the improper selection of a combination of parts. Last month, we said we'd swap cylinder heads to see if the stock GM camel hump castings were keeping DM from making more power. Since the inception of DM, we've received many letters from readers suggesting we equip it with a set of World Products S/R Torquer cylinder heads to help out in the horsepower arena. We did just that but did not make any other adjustments in conjunction with the new heads. As with any swap you make, how your upgrades work with each other is the determining factor in whether or not your "better" part is actually "better" for your current setup (or whether you'll need to make some adjustments in order to use your better part). The root of the power loss we suffered came from the fact that the S/R Torquer heads (S/R stands for "stock replacement") were bigger than the stock GM heads in all the critical areas. And on a low-rpm street motor like DM, bigger is not better. The S/Rs had larger combustion chambers (67 cc vs. 62 cc on the milled 461 castings we'd been running) and larger valves (2.02/1.60 vs. 1.94/1.50). The large combustion chamber dropped Danger Mouse's compression ratio 1/2 point, putting it just below the 9:1 mark, and the larger valve sizes, particularly on the intake side, probably reduced charge velocity enough to hamper the cylinder's filling at low speeds.
Improper cylinder head selection resulted in less power and torque. Although the net resu
What We Learned
All this month's test proved is that it's extremely critical to know exactly what parts you have before you start replacing them. That might mean having your car sit in the garage for a few days while you remove the heads and measure everything prior to ordering the new parts. But that's the only way to be sure you won't be taking a step in the wrong direction. Had DM originally been equipped with a set of heads that had big 76cc chambers, the S/R heads would have boosted compression and that would have probably made more power. Also, if DM was a higher-rpm engine or had more cubic inches, ala stroker 383, it could have made good use of the S/R's larger valves as well. Even though we know we could mill the S/R heads to get an equal compression ratio and re-test them to see the results, we'd rather not start modifying parts this early. Instead, we'll box up the S/R heads and re-test them again another time when DM's got either more inches or more rpm to play with.
To seal the new cylinder heads we installed Mr. Gasket's MLS head gaskets. The MLS stands
This was the first time the heads have been off DM since its first dyno bashing several mo
Mr. Gasket also supplied its new 1/16-inch-thick Ultra-Seal II intake gaskets (PN 810G) to
To keep testing consistent we used the same Edelbrock Air Gap RPM manifold as we did with
The World Products S/R Torquers feature guided pushrod slots so no guideplates were needed
We equipped DM with the same set of COMP Cams 1.5:1 roller rocker arms for this test.
These heads are named S/R Torquers for a reason. The "SR" stands for stock replacement, an
Overall, the S/R Torquers are great heads. They'd be especially helpful to you if you were
Last Month's Power Recap
In DM's third bash on the dyno we really started to crank out some power, especially considering that DM still wore its stock iron heads and had a mild hydraulic camshaft. DM ended the day with a maximum 386 hp and 438 lb-ft of torque. The average horsepower and torque figures were 316 and 416, respectively (see: Test 12). That was 30 hp and 25 lb-ft more torque than we'd started the day with. Needless to say, we were very impressed with the results.
However, this month, for DM's fourth dyno test, we thought we could do a little better by replacing the stock heads, so we tried a set of S/R Torquers (which we got from Bill Mitchell's Hardcore Racing Products for $415 each) and were taught a lesson in proper parts matching.
4th Series Of Dyno Tests
We'll number every series of tests consecutively, starting with the last number of the previous month's tests. We'll also list the last test from the previous month so you'll have something to compare the new tests to. So this month our first new test is number 13. Unless listed, no other changes were made for any test.
Test 12 (last test from last month): Stock 461 heads (62cc chambers, 165cc intake runner volume, 1.94/1.50 valves), Edelbrock Air Gap RPM manifold, Speed Demon 750 carb, 1-inch Wilson spacer, COMP Cams XE262H cam (262/270 adv duration, 218/224 duration @ .050, .462/.469 valve lift, 110 lobe separation) straight up.
Test 13: Install World Products S/R Torquer cylinder heads PN 042660-2 67S (67cc chambers, 170cc intake runner volume, 2.02/1.60 valves).
Click here for the Danger Mouse small-block Chevy dyno chart
Send your test suggestions to:
Super Chevy Magazine
Attn: Danger Mouse
720 Hundley Way
Placentia, CA 92870
Mr. Gasket Company
10601 Memphis Ave., #12
4700 NE 11th Ave.
Westech Performance Group
11098 Venture Dr., Unit C
Bill Mitchell's Hardcore Racing Products
51 Tradezone Ct
2700 California St.