There’s been a ton of ZL1 and 2017 Camaro news lately, but let’s face it, what we really want to know is how bad will it kick the competition’s backside. Well, the numbers are out and Chevrolet is feeling rather boastful with the tagline “Get used to our taillights!” Tough talk, but then again given the released numbers we can certainly see where that confidence is coming from. The 650 hp ZL1 will be the most powerful Camaro in history and while not inexpensive, it puts out a lot of performance for the buck.
When they go on sale later this year, the 2017 Camaro ZL1 will be priced at $62,135 for coupe models and $69,135 for convertibles. The 1LE package is a $4,500 MSRP option on Camaro V-6 LT coupe models and $6,500 on the V-8 1SS coupe model. For LT coupes, the 1LE package features the Camaro SS’s FE3 suspension, while the 1SS benefits from the ZL1’s electronic limited-slip differential and FE4 suspension with Magnetic Ride dampers.
“The Camaro ZL1 offers supercar performance with daily-driver refinement, a combination that stacks up against any other sports coupe – at any price – around the world,” said Steve Majoros, director, Chevrolet marketing.
“Building on Chevrolet’s well-established recipe for track-focused performance, the new 1LE packages expand the performance envelope of the Camaro SS and, for the first time, the Camaro LT,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “You’ll be hard-pressed to find more track-capable cars in their respective classes for the money.”
• 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds
• Quarter-mile in 11.4 seconds at 127 mph
• 1.02 g max cornering
• 60-0 mph braking in 107 feet (32 meters)
• 220-pound (100 kg) weight reduction
• 650-horsepower (485 kW) supercharged LT4 6.2L V-8 engine
*ZL1 performance numbers achieved with a coupe equipped with the available 10-speed automatic transmission and using original-equipment tires on a non-prepped surface.
• 0-60 mph in 5.2 seconds with Camaro LT 1LE
• 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds with Camaro SS 1LE
• 0.97 g max cornering with Camaro LT 1LE
• 1.02 g max cornering with Camaro SS 1LE
• 60-0 mph braking in 112 feet (34 meters) with Camaro LT 1LE
• 60-0 mph braking in 107 feet (32 meters) with Camaro SS 1LE
• 230-pound (104 kg) weight reduction (SS 1LE to previous model)