All too many C6 Corvette owners are unaware of the manual release for the electronic doors. Such was the case with 72-year-old James Rogers who died outside a Port Arthur, Texas Waffle House yesterday. Rogers and his dog Leia were trapped inside his 2007 Corvette when a loose battery cable prevented the electronic release from operating.
According to KHOU.com, police believe the two were killed by heat exhaustion. The temperature hit 92-degrees on June 10, 2015. Employees of the Waffle House called M.J. Ponsegrau to the scene, but Ponsegrau says Rogers and his dog were already dead. Rogers had left his phone inside the Waffle House, so he was unable to call for help. Police said he made a “valiant effort to escape,” and was looking through the owner’s manual before he died.
Tricia Hernandez, Rogers’ daughter, said the 2007 Corvette was his dream car, so it is “heartbreaking” that it would take his life. According to KHOU, Rogers is survived by three children and five grandchildren.
We’d like to take this opportunity to help educate any Corvette owners, first responders, or bystanders on the proper way to enter or exit a C6 with a dead battery. There are manual releases on the floor next to both doors. To open the door, simply pull the cable. If you are locked outside of the car, look for the keyhole above the rear license plate, facing the ground. That will unlatch the trunk, which also has a door release. Watch this video by Ross Downing Chevrolet for a visual depiction and save a life.