Optima Batteries announced the full schedule of Optima Batteries’ Ultimate Street Car series events and qualifiers for the 2015 season. A total of nine events will take place across the country, including the popular event at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, and the legendary Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational event in Las Vegas. The season-ending invitational will once again take place at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on the weekend following the SEMA show.
- Thunderhill Raceway Park, California - February 28 - March 1
- Texas Motor Speedway, Texas - March 28 - 29
- National Corvette Museum Raceway, Kentucky - June 6 - 7
- Michigan International Speedway, Michigan - June 20 - 21
- Charlotte Motor Speedway, North Carolina - July 25 - 26
- Pikes Peak International Raceway, Colorado - August 8 - 9
- Road America, Wisconsin - August 29 - 30
- Auto Club Speedway, California - October 10 - 11
- Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Nevada - November 6 – 8
“With the addition of some great new locations, like Pikes Peak and the Corvette Museum facility, and a return to many of the iconic tracks we loved last season, we are looking forward to the evolution of the Optima Ultimate Street Car series toward being a little better every single year,” says Cam Douglass, director of marketing for Optima Batteries. “We encourage enthusiasts to come out and participate in these events, and really enjoy a weekend in their high-performance cars doing what they were meant to do in a safe, fun environment.”
As in 2014, experienced drivers and first-timers are all encouraged to participate. Separate run groups will be organized to ensure that drivers of similar proficiency (Novice, Intermediate, Advanced) are on the track together. Driving instructors will be on hand at all events to assist those who would like to improve their driving skills.
New Classes Announced for 2015
Four distinct and separate classes have been created to classify vehicles of similar capabilities. The new class structure will give all participants the opportunity to compare the performance of their vehicle to others of similar weight and design, and awards will be given in each class.
- GT – 1990 and newer, 3,200-pound minimum weight, two-wheel-drive sedans, four-seat coupes, and late-model trucks (examples – fifth-gen Camaro, BMW M3/M5, Cadillac CTS-V).
- GTS (Sports car) – 1990 and newer, 3,200-pound minimum weight, factory production two-seater automobiles and any all-wheel-drive vehicles (examples – C5/C6/C7 Corvette, Mitsubishi Evo, Nissan GT-R).
- GTV (Vintage) – 1989 and older, 3,200-pound minimum weight, rear-wheel-drive vehicles (examples – 1969 Camaro, 1987 Monte Carlo, 1974 Pontiac Firebird).
- GTL (Lights) – All vehicles (including AWD models) under 3,200 pounds.
2015 Rules Package
Optima Batteries has also released the complete rulebook for the 2015 Optima Ultimate Street Car event series. While the majority of rules remain untouched, there are some critical amendments to be aware of.
Participants are encouraged to read the entire 2015 Optima Batteries Search for the Ultimate Street Car Series Rules here: optimabatteries.com/en-us/experience/power-source/2015-rules-optimas-search-ultimate-street-car/