Let's face it: The LS platform is a pretty sophisticated thing. A lot of brainy folks in lab coats worked feverishly to make the LS produce excellent power combined with good mpg and clean emissions. Then there is the big-block, whose massive cubic inches and Godzilla-like torque numbers seem go with muscle cars like peas and carrots.
Even though the LS is the new kid on the street and the Rat ruled it with shear size, the granddaddy of them all, the traditional small-block, is still a force to be reckoned with. It's not a hard thing to imagine, considering since the small-block can be built just about anyway you want, stock, budget, gnarly, and so on. We know the small-block pretty much started it all and will be around much longer than these pages you are reading now. We decided to show a little love to our favorite mouse and find the 15 newest products out in the market today. We have everything from dress up items to rotating assemblies and just about everything in between.
1. Billet Specialties new Streamline air cleaners and valve covers offer a fresh new look for your engine compartment. The air cleaners and valve covers are capped off with a 3D machined wing nut and single raised rib complement any exterior trim cues. Available finishes include satin black powdercoat with a polished billet trim strip and also a ready to finish with a polished billet trim strip. The ready to finish is bead blasted and ready for you to paint or powder coat. Stainless hardware is included.
2. The new Comp Cams Ultra-Gold ARC series aluminum rocker arms has design updates and new features that take it to a whole new level. The rockers feature an arced, recessed, contoured design to increase engine power, enhance valvetrain stability and improve oiling, while still fitting under stock valve covers. A new arched channel and contoured top, similar to a bridge design, give the rockers the best strength-to-weight ratio possible. The body has additional CNC contouring to improve clearances for valve covers and springs. Manufactured entirely in the USA, all Ultra-Gold ARC series aluminum rocker arms feature a spring oiler channel through the body for improved lubrication. Trunnion retaining clips have been replaced with an ultra durable spiral lock type clip, similar to what holds a piston pin in place. Stress relieving radii have also been added to areas of the body, trunnion and pushrod seat insert. Even the included locking nuts have been revised to increase surface area to better maintain lash and eliminate wear.
3. Dart's Special High Performance Group has developed pre-engineered, dyno-tested top end combinations that make it easy to build a powerful and durable performance engine at a very affordable price. Based on Dart's new Special High Performance aluminum cylinder heads, the kits include assembled SHP heads with stainless steel valves, springs and related hardware, a Dart intake manifold, chrome valve covers, gaskets, fasteners and even spark plugs. The SHP heads are cast and machined in the USA from premium A356-T6 alloy and are available with your choice of 180cc or 200cc intake ports and 64cc or 72cc combustion chambers to provide versatility for different engine combinations. Designed to work with most off-the-shelf pistons and headers, the SHP heads are a true bolt-on package, which offers significant performance gains and legendary Dart quality. These performance-matched top end kits are ideal for completing one of Dart's short-block assemblies or upgrading an existing engine.
4. The Ultra Street Avenger carburetors feature an all aluminum construction and are equipped with metering blocks and base plate made from 6061–T6 billet aluminum. Three different anodized color options (Red, Blue, or Black) allow for a personalized look while maintaining the ultra–high strength and durability you get from billet. They weigh in at approximately 5 pounds less than a comparable zinc carburetor. These carbs have the same great features you expect in a Holley: tumble polished aluminum finish, quick change vacuum secondaries, four vacuum ports, factory preset "no trouble" electric choke, built–in fuel filters, and an included fuel line. In addition, the Ultra Street Avenger now comes with anodized metering blocks and a base plate made from 6061–T6 billet aluminum and a built in, clear fuel level sight glass for easy, no mess fuel level adjustments.
Holley Performance Products
5. Eddie Motorsports' new Diamond series offers a unique look for your engine accessories. A crosshatch machining process is used to give the valve covers a raised metal diamond appearance. These covers are cast aluminum and come with an oil fill hole and removable baffle on each. They are tall enough to clear most roller rockers and stud girdles. The covers come standard with a plain center or can be emblazoned with 327, 350, or 383 logo. Matching Diamond series air cleaners are available and all Diamond series components are offered in a raw machined or highly polished finish as well as a variety of Fusioncoated colored finishes.
6. Engineers at FAST have developed complete bolt-on EZ-EFI electronic fuel injection kits that allow you to install a multi-port injection setup on motors that were originally carbureted. These kits can be used on anything from mild street rods and muscle cars to 1,000 hp all-out race cars. Simply install the system and answer the basic Setup Wizard questions on the included hand-held display; the system then tunes itself as you drive. EZ-EFI electronic fuel injection kits include carefully matched components, including the EZ-EFI multi-port kit, single plane EFI intake manifold, throttle body, proper size injectors, aluminum fuel rails, fuel pump kit, all necessary sensors and wiring harnesses with labeled connectors.
7. Lunati's Voodoo Engine Kits help you create a 383 or 434 ci small-block at an affordable price. Each kit includes a Lunati Voodoo 4340 alloy, forged steel crankshaft, Voodoo 4340 forged steel, H-beam rods, Lunati forged aluminum pistons, pins and rings plus main and rod bearings. Each crankshaft is Nitrite processed, for strength and wear resistance in bearing surfaces, CNC windage profiled and drilled to reduce rotating weight, then dynamically balanced. Each Voodoo cam profile is correctly matched for your specific engine, chassis and vehicle use by Lunati's own tech experts. Hydraulic roller, hydraulic flat tappet, flat tappet and solid roller tappet cams are available in a number of grinds.
8. Performance Distributors new Slip Collar D.U.I. distributor features a slip collar with 7/8 of an inch in adjustability. This is great if you have decked your heads or milled your block, which changes the distance between where your distributor rests on the intake and where it meshes with your cam gear. Performance Distributors calibrates the advance curve on a distributor machine, which optimizes the advance curve providing instant throttle response and performance throughout your rpm range. The distributor comes complete, including the Street/Strip D.U.I. Coil (or Racing Coil) and Dyna-Module, which allows you to open up your plug gaps to 0.050- to 0.055-inch, burning your fuel more completely. Of course, this unit also incorporates the company's brass terminal cap and rotor, available in red, blue, black, yellow, or clear.
9. March is looking out for the builder on a budget with this low cost "all inclusive" serpentine kit for Chevy small-block. It replaces your low performance V-belts and pulleys to eliminates belt throwing. They are CNC machined from solid billet 6061-T6 aluminum and the brand name accessories are included, like the Powermaster alternator, Sanden A/C compressor, power steering unit, water pump, pulleys, brackets and all mounting hardware are in the kit. The kits are available in a black or silver.
March Performance Inc
10. The MSD DynaForce line of starters is designed for more torque and power to get your mouse fired up. Power comes from a 3.4hp motor with a 4.4:1 gear reduction for incredible torque. Every MSD starter is dyno tested and supplied with a performance report. The solenoids are blueprinted and the handmade armatures are dual plane balanced for long service life. The starter only weights in at 10.5 pounds but still has the ability to crank over an 18:1 compression engine. The MSD starters are hand built in the USA and are not rebuilt or refurbished units
11. Proform has just released this carbon fiber look dress up kit for Mouse motors. These parts are stamped steel with a smooth carbon fiber-appearing film adhered to the surface. The complete kit includes a pair of tall valve covers, rubber grommets, baffles, a 14-inch classic style air cleaner kit, black Bowtie center nut, and a 3-inch air breather cap all for just $299.99.
Proform/Specialty Auto Parts
12. These Pro Elite 23-degree CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads are from RHS. Engineers at RHS have recently designed a 23-degree aluminum head that is CNC- ported from the factory. The precision accuracy and durability are derived from the precision CNC-porting of the intake and exhaust runners, as well as the combustion chamber. The heads feature CNC-ported 228cc intake and 82cc exhaust runners. The 2.055-inch multi-angle intake and 1.600-inch radius exhaust seats allow for superior airflow, CNC-ported 69cc combustion chamber relieves valve shrouding & improves airflow efficiency
13. These cast steel roller tip rocker arms from Summit Racing are constructed out of chromoly steel and are ideal for stock rebuilds or mild performance engines. The roller tip means less deflection and valve guide scrubbing. Each long-slot rocker features a precision-ground roller and includes a grooved, heat-treated rocker ball and nut. They are designed for stock 1.25-inch diameter valve springs and 3/8-inch rocker arm studs. They come in 1.5 and 1.6 ratios for any '55-86 Chevy 265-400.
Summit Racing Equipment
14. Small-block Chevy engines are capable of making big horsepower. However, durability at high rpm can be compromised by an inferior flexplate. In order to prevent this common failure in performance applications, TCI developed a precision stamped steel flexplate that is 0.035 of an inch thicker than factory flexplates. The extra thickness will provide years of reliable service, making it a must have for any internally balanced Gen 1 performance application. The ring gear is custom machined to form a perfect I.D. circle before the flexplate is welded in place on both sides. This creates a better, stronger fit that minimizes runout, ring gear bounce and other damaging problems. The 168-tooth flexplate is dynamically balanced to eliminate potentially damaging vibrations and electro-coated to protect against damaging elements.
15. Leave it to Trick Flow Specialties to make a better carb intake manifold for the small block Chevy. The CNC-machined aluminum manifold has integral bosses for nitrous nozzles and extra material for custom port work. The dual plane design has high-flow individual runners for increased torque; air space below the plenum works to keep the air/fuel mixture cooler for additional power. It's designed for 4150-style carburetors with a basic operating rpm range of 1,500-6,000 rpm.
Trick Flow Specialties