GM’s Corvette engineering and design teams hit a home run with their latest Corvette. The American sports car’s seventh generation gained performance, style and value. Hooker’s BlackHeart development team followed a similar path when designing the brand’s exhaust products for the C7 Corvette. The result is an axle-back exhaust that not only adds 12.2 horsepower and 11.2 lb-ft of torque, but also a rich, powerful exhaust note.
The Hooker BlackHeart axle-back exhaust is made from 100 percent lightweight stainless steel and shaves 7 pounds off the rear of the Corvette. Because the tubing utilizes the factory routings and mounting hardware, installation is a breeze.
Follow along as we install the BlackHeart C7 Axle-Back Exhaust kit at Hooker’s facility in Bowling Green, Kentucky.
01. In order to remove the OEM exhaust system, the rear valance must be removed. First, we removed all the accessible screws securing the valance. Then, we reached behind the valance and popped out the reflectors to access all remaining valance fasteners.
02. The last fasteners we removed were behind the license plate.
03. After all the screws were removed, we pulled the rear valance free from the rear fascia.
04. After all the screws were removed, we pulled the rear valance free from the rear fascia.
05. Next, remove the muffler mount fasteners.
06. Place the transmission shift lever in Neutral to gain the clearance needed to pivot the over-axle pipes up and around the rear suspension.
07. With the OEM axle-back lowered from its mounts, disconnect the exhaust valve actuator’s electrical connector.
08. With everything disconnected, remove the OEM axle-back exhaust system.
09. Before installing the Hooker BlackHeart axle-back exhaust, place it next to the OEM system for comparison. The BlackHeart system’s larger tubing and smaller mufflers surely contribute to its weight and performance advantage over the OEM system.
10. Transfer the exhaust valve actuators to the BlackHeart system.
11. Route the BlackHeart over-axle pipes into position.
12. With the over-axle pipes loosely installed, reconnect the wiring harness to the exhaust valve actuator.
13. Slip the mufflers onto the over-axle pipes.
14. Loosely install the muffler mounting hardware.
15. The BlackHeart system includes a laser-cut, stainless steel plate to maintain exhaust tip alignment. Use the supplied hardware to loosely install the plate.
16. Snug up all the clamps and fasteners (final alignment comes later).
17. Install the rear valance and reinstall all the OEM screws and reflectors.
18. With the rear valance installed, adjust the exhaust alignment inside the exhaust opening in the valance.
19. Once satisfied with the alignment, tighten all the fasteners and clamps securely.
20. Out on the road, the Hooker BlackHeart exhaust emitted a smooth, powerful sound that enthusiasts will love.
21. The subtle style of the BlackHeart system blends tastefully with the Corvette’s rear valance.