11 To keep our transmission running cool, we mounted a TCI cooler (PN 823500) to the Flex-A-Lite radiator. The cooler came with hose barb fittings, but we decided that some 90-degree fittings would work better, so that meant another trip down to G&J Aircraft for more fittings and push-lock hose.
12 The old battery tray was pretty beat, so we picked up a new one from National Parts Depot. To this we mounted an Optima YellowTop to ensure trouble-free starts. For the battery cables, we found the cleanest solution was to buy the components and make our own to just the right length.
13 In terms of the Camaro’s electrical system, the forward wiring in the ’67 was pretty beat down, with more than a couple broken or missing connectors. Since we were elbow deep into the front end of the car, we decided to make it all new by replacing the front harness with a new one from American Autowire (PN CA72097DI). This kit was made specifically for our ’67 RS and was a plug-and-play installation.
14 We also replaced the engine harness with a fresh one from American Autowire (PN CA71981H). Since the GM pulley system we sourced from Pace Performance utilizes a modern CS130 alternator, we also ordered one of their conversion harness kits (PN 37796). This made wiring in our new engine a snap.
15 For the cooling system, we went with a Flex-A-Lite direct bolt-in Flex-A-Fit radiator kit (PN 52187) that included a 3,300-cfm electric fan and an adjustable thermostat controller. It’s a very nice package that fit the Camaro perfectly. Thanks to their bracket design, we were able to easily adjust the height of the two-row aluminum radiator on the core support. One problem we had was that the upper radiator hose was hitting our alternator area. This was due to the fact that the alternator rides closer to the engine centerline compared to a stock alternator. After digging around a bit, we found that the upper radiator hose from a ’72 C10 truck fit perfectly. The lower hose used was a Dayco (PN 70664).
16 The main component in getting our Holley hooked to the car was this new billet throttle plate from Lokar (PN TCB-4150). It’s a very sturdy piece that incorporated double return springs and had provisions for the transmission kickdown cable. For the rest of the throttle linkage, we grabbed a ’69 Z/28 throttle rod and hardware kit. You can also see where we mounted the Dakota Digital water temp sender in the RHS intake manifold. The oil pressure sender was mounted down by the oil filter.
17 To finish off the install, we mounted the PerTronix Flame-Thrower HC coil to the firewall along with a Lokar black locking trans dipstick (PN X1211147). On the engine side, we installed a Lokar stainless oil dipstick (PN ED-5001) and ran the PerTronix plug wires.
18 The reward for all of our hard work was an engine that fired on the very first try. In fact, we didn’t even have to hook up the electronic choke on the Holley. We chalk that up to having a good-sized carburetor and a great ignition system. To clean up the front of the engine bay, we installed a radiator closeout panel from Detroit Speed Inc.
19 To further dress it up, we installed a set of billet hood hinges and hood latch from Eddie Motorsports. They come in polished, natural, and black finishes.
20 One problem we ran into was that the original flat hood would no longer fit on the car due to the higher-rise RHS intake manifold. Well, it wouldn’t fit if we wanted to run any sort of air cleaner. Our solution was to spend $200 and grab a steel cowl-induction hood from National Parts Group (PN C-8000-4A). Now it’s time to get this Camaro on the road and shake down its new driveline.