There are few moments in life quite like the first time you actually get to drive a new project, whether it was just a simple engine modification or an entire rebuild. For me, the moment came right before lunch on a Monday, after three all-nighters in the shop trying to get the STi Killer ready for battle. After grabbing the last of the supplies from the parts store and filling the radiator with water, I nervously climbed into the driver's seat and turned the key. After just a second on the starter, the STi Killer fired to life and the GMPP LS6 sounded amazing. After verifying that nothing was spewing from the engine bay, I slowly pushed in on the clutch, slid the shifter into reverse and began to back up. "We're taking this car to lunch!" I proclaimed-just moments before the Camaro ground to a halt and the clutch pedal dropped to the floor. OK, I was prepared for this, I figured something would happen, but this seemed like a much bigger deal. Defeated, I pushed the car back onto the lift and rode to lunch, again, in a car other than the Camaro.
When we returned, I started digging and luckily found that our clutch problem was a simple fix. Turns out, you do in fact need that little clip on the clutch pedal to hold the master cylinder rod to the pedal (PN 3817880). After a quick trip to the dealership, we were back in business (thanks to Marc "tiny hands" Christ, of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords fame) and I was finally able to take the Camaro on its maiden voyage, a trip around the parking lot, over the main street in front of our world headquarters and over to the gas station, to fill the Camaro with 13 gallons of 93 octane. Upon return, I deemed the STi Killer "ready for war" and after a cool down and double-check, it was time to see what the STi Killer was really made of.
Before we could hit the track with our new setup, we had to verify that the entire drivetrain was in good working order and that our tune-up was spot on. For this, we loaded the STi Killer on our in-house DynoJet 224xLC, brought it up to temperature and made some baseline dyno runs. Using a combination of tools, including the built-in DynoJet wideband, our own Innovate LM-1 wideband, and a copy of HP Tuners, we were able to monitor everything our project was doing and change any parameters of the tune that needed tweaking. With just under 20 miles on the odometer, we laid the hammer down for the first time, recording 394.4 rwhp and 378.6 lb-ft of torque! Trust me, we were as surprised as you are, 394.4 from a GMPP LS6 with bolt-ons did seem optimistic, but we backed it up with another pull and everything checked out. It seems that the combination of our traditional bolt-ons, along with the small horsepower freeing modifications we have made along the way all worked together to belt out some serious power. In comparison, our Subaru STi made 230 awhp and 260 lb-ft of torque, which means in the horsepower wars, the Camaro clearly reigns supreme.