To install the tuner, the passenger-side kick panel was removed. After the removal, we saw a ready-made mount for the tuner. Granted, a little massaging was necessary, but when done, it fit like a glove. When we installed the tuner, we mounted it upside down so we could access the ports for the antenna, power, and output plugs. After we replaced the kick panel, we ran the antenna up to the defroster vent in the center of the dashboard. The antenna needs to have a clear shot at the sky, but we didn't want to mount it on the body or someplace where it would be seen. There was a handy bracket that we could lay the antenna on, so after shaving a bit of material off of the sides of the antenna, a metal plate and the magnetic antenna was slipped in. When the system was working at the end of the install, we called Sirius, registered our radio, and promptly swung the dial to channel 128, where we were listening to Jeff Gordon in no time.
While Gino was modifying the rear seat, Billy was installing the MTX subwoofer box and Alpine Type R 10-inch subwoofer. After mocking up the sub in the box, Billy had to shave a bit off of the box to get the sub to sit flush. Once he was satisfied, he put the sub in and used it as a guide to drill the holes into the box for the mounting screws. When the holes were drilled, he made his way to the car and mounted the box in the car. To mount it properly, he had to drill a hole through the floor. Once the box was in, he installed the subwoofer gasket around the box, and then installed the subwoofer. He had done the wiring for the sub beforehand, so it was just a matter of putting it in, checking the seal, tightening it down, and hooking up the corresponding connections.
The original plan was to mount the amps in the well where the doughnut is stored. After concluding that that spot wouldn't work, we went with plan B, which was mounting the amps behind the rear seatback. To do this, however, the seatback itself had to be notched so the amps would fit. Gino pulled back the seat cover, and then marked off the outline of the amps on the plastic seatback. When everything was to his liking, he used a band saw to carefully cut the seatback. Once the seat was up to par, he pulled the seat cover back down.
Instead of mounting the amps directly to the floorboard and taking the chance of putting a screw through the gas tank, Gino took a piece of wood board and, after taking measurements of the transmission tunnel and width of the cabin from side to side, cut the wood to mount to the floor pan. Molded to fit around the trans tunnel, Gino mounted it securely using two brackets on either side that screwed into the wood and the floor pan in less critical areas. To cleanly run the wires, he slit the carpet where the wires needed to exit, and pulled them through the slit.
When the subwoofer installation was finished, Billy reinstalled the rear hatch trim pieces (after taking out the old speakers of course), and then put the supplied subwoofer cover over the sub. Looks almost stock, doesn't it? Thanks to the MTX mold, which is made for this body style, the sub mounted easily-and we still have use of the entire rear hatch area to store the T-tops and other junk we carry around. Note: When the stereo is on and the subwoofer is in service, do not leave the hatch open for long periods of time as it will hurt the sub and cause premature failure. The subwoofer needs compression to work properly.
Last, but not least: the installation of the CDA-9857 head unit. This head unit is capable of playing CDs, along with playing the satellite radio and the iPod we installed as well. Since the head unit was smaller than the factory item it was replacing, a bit of fabrication was needed to fill in the surrounding area. Once the head unit was in, all the wires were hooked up, and it was time to hit the power button. By the time Gino and Billy were done tuning the system (through the amplifiers, not the head unit), the windows were rattling.