The original knobs were then installed back into the stock dash locations. The volume side was no problem, but the tuner side required the backside of the shaft to be cut and mushroomed at the end to hold the knob tight against the dash. These modifications rendered the original radio useless, but ours was an AM base unit that wasn't working anyway.
We decided to mount the tuner unit up inside the dash behind the controller. We used the supplied bracket as a template to mark the holes that needed to be drilled through the dash to mount the unit. The bracket was then mounted on the metal brace that runs across the bottom of the dash using nylok nuts to ensure that it wouldn't start to rattle.
Luckily for us the dash pad was easily removed on which enabled us to work from both the top and bottom when it came time to mount the tuner. Once mounted, the tuner tucked up nicely and had plenty of room for the wiring.
We then mounted the controller within the stock opening. It fits the opening perfectly in on our Monte Carlo and is snug enough that we were able to slip it in without having to secure it.
The only place we had to mount the CD changer was in the trunk. We would have liked to have had it under the seat to make access a little easier, but it would not fit there in our Monte. It was mounted under the package tray to keep it up out of the way of cargo hauled in the trunk. The unit can also be mounted flat or at 90- or 45-degree angles.
Wiring the CD changer to the controller couldn't get any easier, just plug the cable in and it's ready to go.
We decided that the easiest way to get to get the best sound at this point up front was to use Custom Autosound's kick panels with 6 1/2-inch speakers. Our Monte Carlo was equipped with A/C, which was no problem as they have panels for both A/C and non-A/C-equipped models. The original panels came right out after we removed the sill plates and A-pillar trim.
Our windshield antenna was not pulling in the stations like we wanted, so we decided to install Custom Autosound's hide-away antenna that sticks to the inside of the windshield. In order to run the cable up to it, we had to file a small indentation into the A-pillar trim's rolled edge and the dash edge (neither of which is visible once the dash pad and trim is in place).
Once the cable was safely routed, the antenna was secured with double-sided tape to the upper-right corner of the windshield. With the factory-tinted windshield the antenna can't be seen from outside and is barely visible from the inside.
The new kick panels and speakers slid right in place and look OEM. Although they protrude slightly into the interior, it's not enough to get in the way or interfere with the emergency brake pedal.