Subscribe to the Free

Resto Tech - October 2013

Mark Lundquist Jan 23, 2014
View Full Gallery

Tip of the Month

With more and more classic Chevys being pulled from barns and garages comes an opportunity for the aftermarket to fill the needs of the ever-emerging sophistication most builders and restorers demand. I’m sure you have heard the old adage: necessity is the mother of invention. Case in point: the stock fuel tank in most of the pre-1969 classics. They were designed for one simple purpose—getting the fuel from the tank to the car. Most tanks, depending on the model, were vented to the outside atmosphere. It allowed air to enter the tank as the fuel was depleted. Without the vent, the tank would collapse or overcome the fuel pump and stall the engine.

Venting the fumes causes fuel smells and evaporation, especially when parked in a closed garage or storage area. I’m sure we have all experienced the odor of fuel in the garage where a classic is stored. Most of that smell comes from a vented fuel tank. Add fuel injection to a classic and returning unused, warm fuel to the tank only exacerbates the problem. But wait! There is a solution short of spending a bunch of money on a custom tank. It’s a new vent system from 2Much Fabrication.

It developed a slick fuel vent unit that traps those ugly fuel vapors and returns them to the tank, eliminating the fuel smell and spillage for you autocross enthusiasts. It’s a high quality, CNC machined billet unit that is simple to install. Just drill a 21/2-inch hole somewhere in the trunk area above the tank vent line, and run a rubber fuel line from the one outlet to the tank vent. The unit can also be used to vent differentials. The installation you see in the picture is a typical install. In our case, we located the vent system in the middle of the trunk, which also keeps our car show folding chairs in place in the trunk space. They also have models that mount on vertical panels for more flexibility. Take a look at the vent at, or give them a call at 301-814-5322.


I have a six-volt, ’51 3100 Chevy pickup with a 1958 235ci engine and o.d. manual transmission. How can I use the overdrive (12-volt) without changing the truck over to 12-volt? Can the solenoid be rewound for six volts, or do you know a source for a solenoid that will work?

Allan Nagy

Valdosta, GA

No need to change the electrical system to 12-volt, Alan. You can always step up the six-volts to 12 volts using a DC/DC converter, which is basically a step-up transformer. Granted, a converter has a limited capacity for a stock six-volt system, but for your application I don’t see a problem. Check out a company called Power Stream at They carry a unit just for your application under part number PSTC-0624012. It can also be reached at 801-764-9060.

Panel Discussion

You have inspired me to finally get started on changing the right quarter-panel on my ’70 Camaro. Two questions I have before I get started with my limited sheetmetal skills. What is the difference between changing the whole quarter-panel, versus a quarter-panel skin? I would have thought they were the same thing, but the difference in price tells me otherwise. The second question has to do with the difference between the left and the right quarter-panels. Are they mirror images, or is there structure I will have to look out for in doing the right side. Thanks for the great articles! I plan on using the quarter-panel change and the heat beater articles exactly the way you have!

Jim Erskine

Via email

A complete quarter-panel includes everything included to replace the entire panel, along the whole doorjamb and the trunk extension that extends to the trunk gutter. The quarter skin, on the other hand, only comes with the outer skin. It depends on the condition of your doorjamb and the trunk extension. There is quite a difference in price and labor to replace either panel. May I suggest logging on to Classic Industries website, and take a look at both the skin and the complete panel. A picture is worth a thousand words. The left and right panels are different. Try, or they can be contacted at 1-800-854-1280 for technical information, or to order a catalog for your ’70 Camaro.

Got a restoration question that’s been puzzling you? Send it to:

[ m ] Super Chevy, Resto Tech, 9036 Brittany Way, Tampa, FL 33619. [ e ] [ f ] 813/675-3559



Connect With Us

Get Latest News and Articles. Newsletter Sign Up

sponsored links

subscribe to the magazine

get digital get print