27. For sealing our engine, we went with Cometic’s upper and lower LS gasket kits, PN PRO1025T and PRO1007B. You need to order both kits, as the lower kit comes with the oil pan, front cover, and rear cover gaskets, along with some other small items necessary.
28. Our Cometic upper kit features Cometic’s MLS (Multi Layer Steel) head gaskets. MLS gaskets not only provide superior sealing, heat resistance, and durability, but they can also be reused several times, unlike conventional head gaskets.
29. For heads, we went with Trick Flow’s GenX 255 LS3–style head, PN TFS 32610001-c01.
30. They feature fully CNC Competition Ported runners with a 12-degree angle on the valves for increased piston-to-valve clearance, redesigned coolant holes on the deck to work with all LS head gaskets, and LS3-style intake ports that will accept LS3 intakes and LSA/LS9 blower assemblies.
31. They come equipped with dual valvesprings, steel retainers, and 2.165/1.600 size valves.
32. The TFS dual springs have a maximum lift of .625”, and while they are perfectly capable, with went with a set of dual springs and tool steel retainers from Comp Cams, part no. 26925-16. They have a rate of 400 pounds, maximum lift of .660”, seat load of 141 @ 1.810” and open load of 405 @ 1.150”.
33. For pushrods we went with 7.750 length, heavy wall one-piece pushrods from Comp Cams, part no. 7750-16.
34. We went with a set of stock LS3 rockers, but ordered one of Comp Cams roller trunnion upgrade kits for them. On the left is the stock trunnion; on the right is the Comp unit. The factory trunnion doesn’t feature a full trunnion, and the needle bearing retention system is weak and known to eject bearings into the oil under heavy use and abuse.
The Comp upgraded trunnion uses a fully captured needle bearing assembly, along with a full trunnion shaft that not only reduces friction, but will also take more horsepower and abuse.
35. On the dyno, we’re going to test out two different carbureted intake manifolds. This dual-plane unit is from Chevrolet Performance, PN 19244037. It’s a dual-plane design for increased bottom end and midrange torque with injector/nitrous bosses cast into it and a 4150-style carb-mounting flange. It also uses the factory O-ring gaskets and intake bolts.
36, 37, 38. Our other test intake is this artwork-like piece from Mast Motorsports. It features fully CNC’d ports and runners that are hand blended with long, straight shot runners right to the valves for maximum high-rpm performance.
39. For our carb, we went with the old reliable, Holley's 750 CFM Ultra Double pumper with electric choke. It features billet metering blocks, and built in sight windows for easy float adjustments. or our carb, we went with the old reliable, a Holley 4150 double-pumper 750 cfm.
40. And to keep everything balanced while driving out the water pump, we used an ATI damper, PN 917286. And with that, we’re all set and ready to hit the dyno. Stay tuned to a future issue of Super Chevy to see our full story on dyno testing this animal and to see if it lives up to its small-block heritage and LS79 name.
|0.030 inches over 6.0L block ||SUM-150105 |
|Reconditioned 4.8L crank ||12140|
|Trick Flow Heads ||TFS 32610001-c01 |
|Wiseco Pistons ||Custom Via Summit|
|K1 Rods ||CH6390ALLBLS-ST8-A |
|Comp Cams custom ground camshaft ||54-000-11|
|Comp rocker arm trunnion upgrade Kit ||13702-KIT |
|Timing Set ||3158KT|
|Factory roller lifters ||12499225|
|GM valley cover ||12577927|
|GM timing cover ||12561243|
|GM rear cover ||12639250|
|GM cam retainer plate ||12589016|
|GM timing chain damper ||12588670|
|GM head locating dowels ||12570326|
|GM lifter guide ||12551162|
|Melling oil pump ||10296|
|ATI balancer ||917286|
|Chevrolet Performance intake ||19244037|
|Mast Motorsports intake || 501-001 |
|Mast oil pan || 401-111 |
|ARP head studs || 234-4317 |
|ARP main studs || 234-5608 |
|ARP balancer kit || 234-2503 |
|ARP valve cover || 400-7530 |
|ARP oil pan || 434-6902 |
|ARP timing cover || 434-1502 |
|ARP water pump || 434-3202 |
|ARP intake valley cover || 134-8002 |
|ARP intake manifold || 130-2101 |
|ARP thermostat housing || 434-7401 |
|ARP coil bolts || 134-2301 |
|ARP cam bolts || 134-1002 |
|ARP cam bolts || 134-1003 |
|ARP header bolts || 400-1211 |
|ARP rear cover || 134-1504 |
|ARP valve cover || 400-7529 |
|Clevite-coated H-Series 0.010-inch main bearings || MS2199HK10 |
|Sealed Power Duroshield Competition 0.010-inch rod bearings || C8-7100CH10 |
|Cometic upper gasket set || PRO1025T |
|Cometic lower gasket set || PRO1007B |