VM: Will Chevrolet offer a factory-issued rollbar for the car?
JF: At this point, we have no plans to bring one out, but we did consider it. For now, we'll leave that to the aftermarket.
VM: Are all '13 Corvette factory colors and trim packages available to the 427 convertible?
JF: It will be available in all exterior, interior, and top colors that we offer for 2013, and in 2LT, 3LT, and 4LT trim levels. At this point that includes non-recommended color/trim/top combos, and get ready for this: Black returns as an exterior color for the model year.
VM: Will production or dealer allocation of the 427 convertible be constrained to increase its exclusivity?
JF: No. We will build as many as people want. We aim to please.
VM: What date will they be available for customer order?
JF: Dealer and customer ordering opens in late March 2012.
VM: When will dealer deliveries begin?
JF: We expect them to be in dealer showrooms in June of this year.
VM: Will they be available to order until summer 2013?
JF: No. Our 2013 Corvette model run is not going to be a full 12-month run. It will be a bit shorter. We start production in May 2012 and will end production in the first quarter of 2013.
VM: What will pricing be for the model and its options?
JF: We'll announce pricing in the spring.
VM: Is the 427 convertible signed up for pace-car duties at Indy, Daytona, or other speedways for 2013?
JF: We cannot disclose an answer to that question at this point.
VM: What options are available to augment the 427 convertible buying experience?
JF: It is available for the Engine Plant Build Experience (EPBE), where you help build your Corvette's engine at our Performance Build Center. It will also have a unique VIN sequence and you can specify the last digits of your VIN.
VM: Will the Corvette 427 convertible live beyond the 2013 model year?
JF: We can't answer that, but have no doubt that 2013 is the last model run for the C6 Corvette, Grand Sport, Z06, and ZR1. If you're sitting on the fence about getting a 427 convertible, a Z06, or a ZR1, now is the time to put your order in.
Note: For '13, all Corvettes will feature 60th Anniversary badges on the fascias (and the "waterfall" panel on convertible models), as well as 60th logos in the instrument-panel gauge cluster and on the sill plates.
'13 Chevrolet Corvette 427 Convertible Collector Edition
- Model: Chevrolet Corvette 427 Convertible Collector Edition
- Body styles/driveline: Two-door convertible; rear-wheel drive
- Construction: Composite body panels, hydroformed steel frame with aluminum and magnesium structural and chassis components
- Manufacturing location: Bowling Green, KY
- Engine: 7.0L V-8 LS7
- Displacement (cu in/cc): 427/7,008
- Bore & stroke (in/mm): 4.125 x 4/104.8 x 101.6
- Block material: Cast aluminum
- Cylinder head material: Cast aluminum
- Valvetrain: Overhead valve, two valves per cylinder
- Fuel delivery: SFI (sequential fuel injection)
- Compression ratio: 11.0:1
- Horsepower: 505/377 at 6,300
- Torque (lb-ft/Nm at rpm): 470/637 at 4,800
- Recommended fuel: Premium required
- Estimated fuel economy (city/hwy): 15/24 (no guzzler tax)
- Transmission: Six-speed manual (automatic trans is not available)
Gear ratios (:1):
- First: 2.66
- Second: 1.78
- Third: 1.30
- Fourth: 1.00
- Fifth: 0.74
- Sixth: 0.50
- Reverse: 2.90
- Final drive ratio: 3.42
- Front: Short/long arm (SLA) double wishbone, cast- aluminum upper and lower control arms, transverse-mounted composite leaf spring, monotube shock absorber; Magnetic Selective Ride Control
- Rear: Short/long arm (SLA) double wishbone, cast- aluminum upper and lower control arms, transverse-mounted composite leaf spring, monotube shock absorber; Magnetic Selective Ride Control
- Traction control: Electronic traction control; active handling
- Type: Front and rear power-assisted disc with ABS with six-piston front and four-piston rear calipers, cross-drilled rotors
- Rotor diameter x thickness (in/mm): Front
- Brake swept area (sq in/mm): Front
Wheels & Tires
- Wheel size: Front
- Tires: Front
- Wheelbase (in/mm): 105.7/2,685
- Overall length (in/mm): 175.6/4,460
- Overall width (in/mm): 75.9/1,928
- Overall height (in/mm): 48.7/1,236
- Curb weight (lb/kg): 3355/1,522
- Weight distribution (% front/rear): 50/50
- Seating capacity: 2
- Interior volume (cu ft/L): 52/1,475
- Headroom (in/mm): 38/962
- Legroom (in/mm): 43/1,092
- Shoulder room (in/mm): 55/1,397
- Hip room (in/mm): 54/1,371
- Cargo volume (cu ft/L): 11/295 (top up); 7.5/212 (top down)
- Fuel tank (gal/L): 18/68.1
- Engine oil (qt/L): 10.5/9.9
- Weight: 3,355 lbs.
Note: Information shown is current at time of publication.