It seems like just last week the 2011 show season was wrapping up, and a seemingly endless peaceful winter of working in the garage was beginning. Then suddenly it's time again to free the classic Chevys from their winter prisons and get them ready for another year of SC Show shenanigans.
Starting us off for 2012 was the Palm Beach International Raceway event, the site of the first Super Chevy event ever outside of California way back when. The '12 event started off with a large crowd, but despite the lack of fried gator tail in the food area, Sunday was even stronger, with the Florida Bow Tie contingent showing up in even greater force for a spectacular day under the sun.
Of note were the Florida region of the National El Camino Owners Association, which brought out a couple of dozen sparkling Elcos, and Tri-County Camaros, based out of Miami, which helped round up 32 fifth-gens for the show.
Returning this year is the Super Chevy AMSOIL Best of the Best competition, presented by Danchuk and Classic Muscle. Just like 2011, we'll be picking five cars in five categories for readers to vote on for top honors at each event. We've tweaked things from last year, with '64-later El Caminos and Monte Carlos now officially part of the Chevelle/Malibu class. You can vote at bestofthebest.superchevy.com the Monday afternoon after each event. c
Here are the palm beach, florida, winners from the amsoil best of the best competition, presented by danchuk and classic muscle:
The AMSOIL Best of the Best voting begins the Monday after each Super Chevy Show and lasts through the following Sunday at midnight. Keep your browser aimed at bestofthebest.superchevy.com to vote for next batch of classic Bow Ties.
Saturday Car Show Awards
Editor's Choice Top 10 Car Show Awards
- '72 Nova--Norm & Susan Brown, Islamorada, FL
- '57 Sedan Delivery--Doug Carter, Ocala, FL
- '70 El Camino SS454--Rudy Wichman, Lakeland, FL
- '70 Chevelle SS454--Craig Firing, Tequesta, FL
- '69 Chevelle SS396--Michael Merlo, Boca Raton, FL
- '69 Camaro--Wes King, Southwest Ranches, FL
- '57 Bel Air Convertible--Dave Snodgrass, Melbourne, FL
- '61 Impala--Tim & Debbie Brown, Bryceville, FL
- '59 Brookwood Wagon--Jeff Slivey, Hollywood, FL
- '65 Corvette--Joe Circelli, Cape Coral, FL
Editor's Choice Top 10 Drag Car Awards
- Mike Pruss, West Palm Beach, FL, '67 Camaro
- Mark Kyger, Coral Springs, FL, '66 Chevy II
- Rob Briscoe, Stuart, FL, '69 Camaro
- George Morgan Jr., Hollywood, FL '70 Nova SS
- Donald Jones, Loxahatchee, FL, '68 Camaro
- Todd Abrams, West Palm Beach, FL, '71 Nova
- Johnny Casquilla, West Palm Beach, FL, '88 Camaro
- Mark McCabe, West Palm Beach, FL, '66 Chevelle
- Steve Symmes, Lake Worth, FL, '66 Nova
- Shawn Calabrese, Orlando, FL, '10 Camaro SS
- Award of Excellence--'68 Camaro--Bruce Paul, Tampa, FL
- Best of Show--'57 Bel Air Sedan--Mark Strauder, Apopka, FL
Sunday's Drag Racing Results
- Bracket 1--Tony Mazza, West Palm Beach, FL ('81 Camaro) defeated Matty Sosnowski,
- Palm Beach Gardens, FL ('67 Camaro)
- Bracket 2--Mitch Popi, Stuart, FL ('89 Ford) defeated Rob Reynolds, Melbourne, FL ('78
- D.O.T.--Harry Dixon, West Palm Beach, FL (Camaro) defeated Richard Mortell, Lake
- Worth, FL ('96 Vette)
Amsoil presents Super Chevy 2012 Best of the Best
Remarkably, all three Gold Class selections were '57s. One was Mark Strawder's 210 Pro Str
...Snodgrass won our AMSOIL Best of the Best voting in the Tri-Five category (see page 104
Nothing like a twin-turbo LS transplanted into a '67 Camaro.
The Tri-County Camaros club came out with almost three-dozen fifth-gen Camaros to fill the
The Florida Region of the National El Camino Owners Association brought an interesting mix
John Griswell’s gnarly looking smallblock-powered slingshot caught our eye over in the pit
Mike Newby from Marietta, Georgia, brought his '69 Malibu down for some drag fun. He got t
In the D.O.T. class, Harry Dixon from West Palm Beach in a fourth-gen Camaro beat out Rich
Joe Delciampo's '55 Bel Air wagon was a retro treat to see. He bought the car out of Calif
Also back for 2012 is the popular Revell Make 'n' Take model building program for kids. At
In the July '11 issue, we did a feature on Juan Escobar's ultra-rare, factory Hugger Orang
Tim and Debbie Brown's '61 wowed the crowd with a built 409, stunning paint and overall pe
Sunday's the day for the judged portion of the car show and here are the winners. Great jo
One beauty of a ragtop was Michael Merlo's '69 SS396 Chevelle. It sported a 325HP rat with
Johnny Casquilla brought out this wild thirdgen to race and we awarded him an Editor's Cho
Well, this is one way to have some fun with a worn-out Chevy Astro van. Even scarier than
There were plenty of clean, fast Novas racing. George Morgan Jr. got one of our Editor's C
There was more to the event than just a car show and drag racing. For the second straight
Over in the Harry the Hatorganized swap meet, there were some great deals to be had. One w
The '70 Chevelle/Malibu ragtops are uncommon enough (only 7,511 were built), but seeing an
Watch future issues for a feature on Doug Carter's tricked out '57 Sedan Delivery. Only 7,
a unicorn with a leprechaun riding on its back. Claimed to be the real deal, Alvin Bardes'
Tough to beat the clean and simple look of this '55 hardtop.
This Elky could use some more chrome underneath its hood!