Corvette Road Trip - A Tale of Two Friends and Many Corvettes

We follow "The Jersey Boys" on a road trip to pick up a pair of 2008 Chevrolet Corvettes in Bowling Green

Jimmy Moran Aug 3, 2009 0 Comment(s)
Corp_0907w_28_z Corvette_road_trip 2/45

Getting the twins ready for the ride home.

Finally It's Wednesday
Tuesday, September 25th finally arrived. Late that afternoon I pulled out a suitcase and began packing the clothes I wanted. The most important thing was the Corvettes Limited polo shirt and jacket. Mike and I had decided that we would wear them to the museum for the pictures we would be taking. Mike had purchased a fold-up tripod for the trip and we both had digital cameras with large memory sticks so we could take all the pictures we wanted. I also decided to bring a laptop with me, so we could transfer the pictures from the cameras to the PC on a daily basis and thus free up memory. Needless to say, I didn't sleep too well that night. I was too excited! As with any trip, after I got to Bowling Green and began to settle down a little, I realized I forgot to make a CD of my favorite road songs to play as we drove out of the museum parking lot. That wasn't the worst thing. The cars did have XM radios and they were activated when we got there, so I could find some stations that played songs I would enjoy driving to.

Corp_0907w_29_z Corvette_road_trip 3/45

It that Elvis in Nashville?

At 11:15 Wednesday morning the car service arrived and we were on our way to Newark Airport. The ride up took about 45 minutes and we got dropped off in front of the Continental terminal. Mike and Elaine were there waiting for us. We checked our bags at the curbside and headed to the security check area. As we went through the security area, Elaine got stopped, we think because of a piece of jewelry, and she had to be checked by a guard. We headed toward our gate and stopped to get a quick bite to eat. We boarded the plane and took off pretty much on time. Our plane was delayed by 15 minutes, not bad for the airlines.

The flight was fine and we arrived in Nashville. While Mike and the wives went to the carousel to get the luggage, I went to Enterprise to make arrangements for the car to drive us up to Bowling Green. Got the luggage, loaded everything into the HHP Chevy SUV that we were assigned, and we were off. We decided to stop at the Grand Old Opry House and Hotel on the way since it was only 4 miles from the airport and along the same route we would be driving. We reasoned it would be a good place to stop and walk around for a while, see the Opry House and have something to eat. Since we had reserved rooms in Bowling Green, it didn't matter what time we arrived up there.

Corp_0907w_30_z Corvette_road_trip 4/45

At the Jack Daniels Distillery in Tennessee.

The Grand Old Opry Hotel was one of the largest I had ever been in. In the lobbies and I think there were three or four of them, there were little towns or southern mansions. I was glad we stopped and got to see it. There was also a huge exhibition center as part of the hotel and Cracker Barrel Restaurants was having some kind of event going on. Needless to say, since Cracker Barrel was associated with our Corvettes at Carlisle yearly trips, I had to have a picture in front of one of their exhibits. We walked through the hotel and over to the Grand Old Opry Theater. The only thing original on the theater was the wooden doors. The rest of the place was fairly new. One thing that impressed me immediately was how clean everything was and how friendly all the people were. I felt I was in a part of Disney World.

Big Day
Didn't sleep too much, but we were all at breakfast by 6:45 Thursday morning. The Holiday Inn in Bowling Green serves a nice breakfast and since we knew it was going to be a long day, we all ate big portions. As we left the hotel, the rain was coming down at a good clip. We arrived at the museum a little before 8AM and Ron Barton and Larry McCool were there to greet us. The first thing we did was to give them copies of our sales slips from the dealer, driver's license, and proof of insurance. We then proceeded to our cars. I was in delivery spot #2 and Mike was in #3. WOW!!! The car looked even better than I expected! In delivery spot #1 was another black convertible that was owned by a fellow named Harvey who was from Long Island. Even though he could not get to the museum to pick his car up on the same day we did, we have since become friends and we got copies of our pictures to him with all our Vettes waiting to be driven off.


Connect With Us

Get Latest News and Articles. Newsletter Sign Up

subscribe to the magazine

get digital get print