2014 Super Chevy Show – Palm Beach Editor’s Choice Show Car Winners
By Jim Campisano
Opening day in major league baseball is such a big deal there’s a group lobbying congress to try and make it a national holiday. Just as important to fans of Chevrolet products is the season opening Super Chevy Show at Palm Beach International Raceway in Jupiter, Florida. Enthusiasts flock there from all over, breaking their winter hibernation for the chance to show off their impeccable Chevys to a large crowd of appreciative zealots.
One of the tasks for Super Chevy’s staff is to pick its 10 Editor’s Choice Show Car awards. There are no hard, fast rules to this. These are not judged awards; these come from the heart and the gut. Is it beautiful? Does it speak to enthusiasts? Is it unusual? A perfect restoration? It could be any combination of the above, or none of the above. Sometimes, an Editor’s Choice plaque just goes to a car or truck that just puts a smile on our faces. It doesn’t matter if it’s a one-of-a-kind rarity, a $200,000 restoration, or a slightly modified streetmachine.
Of course, when you have hundreds of the most spectacular vehicles from the south to choosefrom, how do you pick just 10? From street rods to new C7 Corvettes, the show field at Palm Beach International was stuffed with Bow Ties of every color and configuration, from real-fine 409s to a contraption so bizarre we don’t even know how to describe it (imagine a street rod that made The Beverly Hillbillies’ truck look like a Ridler Award winner).
Here (in no particular order) are the winners of the Super Chevy Editor’s Choice Show Car awards from Palm Beach, 2014.
1. Michael Adamcik, 1954 Chevrolet Bel Air hardtop
2. Heath and Cody Stern, 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle
3. Greg Land, 1955 Chevrolet 210 Hardtop
4. Dean Olson, 1963 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible
5. Rich Martin, 1965 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa
6. Norm and Susan Brown, 1972 Chevrolet Nova SS
7. Scott Slaughter, 1970 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS350
8. Wyatt Reynolds, 1972 Chevrolet C-10
9. Glenn Travers, 1970 Chevrolet El Camino SS
10. Julie Surface, 1983 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS